The Ultimate Guide When Visting A Regional Passport Agency


Getting a passport can be stressful, especially if you don’t know the ins and outs of the process. You may have heard that the regional passport agency or your local post office has a “passport window.” If so, you’re at the right place! We’ve assembled everything you need to know about visiting a regional passport agency—from how to find one near you to getting in line and getting your passport back as soon as possible. There are 26 regional passport agencies nationwide.

Locate a Regional Passport Agency

What is a passport agency?

A passport agency is a location that provides services related to passports and other travel documents. There are more than 2,000 passport agencies across the United States, including all post offices and some public libraries.

The hours of operation vary by location, but most have extended hours during summer months when travelers are on vacation. To find out what hours each specific passport agency will be open during your trip, use this website’s search function or call ahead before going there in person (if possible).

How to find the nearest passport agency.

The first thing you need to do is find the nearest regional passport agency. You can do this by using Google Maps or by calling the U.S. Passport Agency at 1-877-487-2778 and asking them for assistance.

What documents will I need?

  • Passport application form
  • Proof of citizenship (a certified birth certificate or naturalization certificate)
  • Proof of identity (a government-issued photo ID)
  • Proof of travel plan (e.g., airline tickets, hotel reservations)
  • Name change, if applicable (marriage certificate or divorce decree)
  • Parental consent/relationship proof, if applicable (marriage certificate or divorce decree; court order establishing paternity or guardianship; etc.)

What should I bring with me?

It’s important to bring all the required documents with you. This includes your passport, driver’s license, birth certificate and marriage certificate. If you don’t have a valid U.S.-issued passport yet (which is required for all minors), then bring along an I-94 card if one was issued when entering the country. You will also need to bring a check or money order for the application fee–$110 for adults and $80 for children under 16 years old (as of 2018).

Do I have to make an appointment?

No, you don’t have to make an appointment. But it’s recommended that you do so because the Regional Passport Agency offices can get very busy and if people are not scheduling appointments in advance, they may end up waiting for a long time before getting their passport application processed.

If you don’t have time for an appointment or wish to avoid the possibility of waiting in line at your local Regional Passport Agency office, use our online service, where we will process all necessary forms on your behalf and deliver them directly to the agency of your choice. This way no one has any reason not too!

Will there be long lines?

If you are traveling in a hurry and have no time to make an appointment with the passport agency, then it’s best to go during off-peak hours:

  • Monday through Friday between 9 am and 1 pm.
  • Saturday between 10 am and 3 pm.

The last thing that anyone wants is a long wait standing in line at the regional passport agency! Luckily, there are some things you can do to make sure your visit goes smoothly:

Help for getting your passport fast

When you’re in a rush to get a passport, it can be frustrating to find out there are no appointments available at the regional passport agency. You may not know what to do next or how long your application will take to process.

Fortunately, there are some things that you can do as an applicant to help speed up this process:

  • Bring all required documentation when applying for your passport at a regional agency. This includes proof of citizenship (e.g., birth certificate), photo identification and payment of fees (check with your specific agency). If possible, bring any supporting documents such as marriage certificates or divorce decrees if they pertain specifically to one parent’s name change rather than both parents’ names changing after marriage/divorce.[1]


If you’re looking for help with your passport, you’ve come to the right place. We hope this guide has helped answer some of your questions about visiting a regional passport agency or applying for one online. If you have any other questions about obtaining a U.S. passport, please feel free to contact us 877-487-2778

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *